When the youngest of her four children had an allergic reaction to breakfast, Robyn O’Brien’s search for the cause of the allergies led her to become an expert and crusader on the impact food additives are having on the health of children.
A Fulbright grant recipient, author of The UnHealthy Truth: How Our Food Is Making Us Sick and What We Can Do About It, and former food industry analyst, Robyn brings compassion, insight and detailed analysis to her research.
In this interview with Fun & Fit, Robyn shares a number of steps parents can take to protect their kids from harmful food additives:
- Cut back on purchases of foods with artificial color. Example – get white instead of blue yogurt
- Buy milk that is rBGH free
- Eat fewer “fake” or processed foods (the stuff that comes in packages)
- Cut back on anything with corn or soy in it
- Use ingredients grandma would have used
- Do what you can, where you can, when you can
- Make one change each week or pick one thing per month to focus on improving
- Take steps you can handle and feel good about
- Remind yourself that none of us can do everything, yet all of us can do one thing
Hailed as “food’s Erin Brockovich” by The New York Times, a “Women To Shape the World” by SHAPE Magazine and as one of “20 Inspiring Women to Follow on Twitter” by Forbes Women, Robyn’s work has also been recognized by Dr. Oz, Robert Kennedy Jr., Ted Turner and Prince Charles.
Robyn is the Founder of the visionary organization AllergyKids Foundation, which is focused on restoring the integrity of the food supply and the health of the 1 in 3 American children with allergies, autism, ADHD or asthma, and she is Co-founder of Food for Thought, a ground-breaking initiative in collaboration with the United Nations World Food Program.
In her research, Robyn discovered the following startling statistics:
- From 1997-2002 there was a 100% increase in the number of peanut allergies
- 1 out of 17 kids under 3 years old had food allergies as of 2006
- There was a 25% increase in hospitalizations for food allergies
- Cancer is #1 cause of death by disease in kids under 15
If you would like a free copy of Robyn’s book, The UnHealthy Truth compliments of Robyn O’Brien, go to our Fun and Fit FacebookFan Page saying that you’d like to win and leaving a comment about the radio interview. We’ll pick a random winner on May 8th (Mother’s Day).